Each hair is embedded in the skin with an onion-like structure called the bulb. Each of them forms a unit structure with reinforcing tissue, border and vascular structure. This information shows us that the hair has a group of needs, like an organ.
There are basically three types of bristle structures:
– Lanugo hair is the type of hair we see in newborn babies that is lost after a few months
– Terminal hair: thick dark hairs that become evident with puberty
– Vellus hair, on the other hand, is quince hair, excluding hormonal hairs found in a healthy body, except for the palms of the hands and soles of the feet.
The developmental stage of the bristles:
The period in which the hair grows and develops is the active period and 85-90% of it is in this phase. The active hairs wait in the transitional phase and are then shed. This shedding process does not happen in all hairs at the same time, that is, it is asynchronous.
The growth rate of the hair, its duration, the rate of hair in the growth and development phase, the hair density differ according to the location of the hairs. For example; Loss of 100 hairs is considered normal in a healthy individual.
Diseases that directly or indirectly affect this hair cycle; cause hair or hair loss.
Hair loss is one of the most common reasons for our patients to apply. For a healthy hair; There is a need not only for the hair itself, but also for the soil that gives birth to the hair and ensures its growth and development, that is, a healthy scalp.
Causes of hair loss;
Menstruation, pregnancy, menopausal status
Past diseases, operations (from 4 months ago)
Hair care, use of hair cosmetics
Diet; adequate protein intake
Infections (such as fungus)
What do we value in hair loss?
1. Hair structure: we look at it both with the naked eye and with the dermatoscope device.
2. The extent and distribution of shedding: what is the distribution or type of the patient’s gender? Do we get hair when we do a tensile test?
3. Is the scalp healthy? Are the structures we call follicles intact? Because, if these structures do not exist, it means that there is no fertile part. Especially in this type of involvement, our goal is not to regrow hair, but to reduce or prevent the progression of hair loss.
4. For our female patients, is there acne or hair growth that indicates hormonal disorder?
How should patients with hair loss complaints be evaluated?
Hair should not be combed and washed for at least 5 days.
Hair conditioners, hair cosmetics such as spray, and processes such as straightening and dyeing should be left 2 weeks before the evaluation.
Frequently Asked Questions From Our Patients With Hair Loss Complaints
Question 1: My child has hair loss & thin hair & woolly hair or tangled hair. Not scanned?
It should not be forgotten that this problem may be alone, or it may accompany some diseases. It is especially valuable to evaluate the skin attachment structures such as eyebrows, eyelashes, teeth and nails, as well as the hair structure of children with these stylistic complaints.
Question 2: Is it okay if I razor my child’s hair?
I observe that the children brought to the examination are affected by the mental side and are sad. Of course my answer is no. Because it has no scientific meaning.
Question 3: My hair is falling out, I’m afraid to comb it?
Combing hair is actually a kind of massage and relaxation for the hair and scalp. It is necessary to continue scanning without force.
Question 4: Do my hair bases hurt a lot?
Especially in some individuals, before hair loss, there is pain at the base of the hair, which we call tricodynia. The scalp is sensitive to touch.
Question 5: My barber/neighbor/relative got thicker hair with the garlic cure. Can I use it too?
Frequently made mixtures create a picture that we call inflammation and eczematization, such as burning, itching and redness in that area. It is a formula that we also use in hair loss disease, especially alopecia areata. However, we doctors use medically approved and licensed products, not unknown ingredients.
Please entrust your hair to dermatologists for your skin health. To healthy bushy, lively hair..
Treatment for Hair Loss:
It varies depending on the type of shedding and accompanying diseases. If there is no random reason, if the scalp is healthy, it can be supported with vitamin and growth factor cocktails such as mesotherapy or with platelet-powered plasma treatments (PRP) obtained from the individual’s own blood.
– In spills due to systemic diseases; If the scalp is intact, it can be treated at an early stage.
Unfortunately, there may be permanent losses in the late stages of the diseases.
Because; should definitely be evaluated by a dermatologist.